Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Habakkuk

My friend Billy told me of a series that Life Church is doing over Habakkuk. Afterwards, I thought to myself that I really didn't know what Habakkuk talked about so I decided to read it today (only 3 chapters) to learn something. I was reminded of a few things as I read through it.

First, I was reminded that God is doing something huge right now. Something that we don't know about. I've said that to many people lately, and finding it confirmed in scripture is always encouraging. Habakkuk starts with a huge burden. He felt as if God wasn't hearing him and wasn't doing anything about the perversion of His name. After Habakkuk is done with crying out to God, the Lord answers him with verse 1:5, "Look around you among the nations and see! And be astonished! Astounded! For I am putting into effect a work in your days such that you would not believe it if it were told to you." At times I feel alot like Habakkuk did. In my own life not receiving answers, and looking at the ineffectiveness and perversion of the world. But I am encouraged that God is indeed up to something great. He doing much that we cannot see. Which leads to my second realization.

And that is, God does most of the work. In chapter 3 verse 2 Habakkuk is praying again and says to God, "O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make Yourself known." When I read that I was a little convicted. Because I have been thinking non-stop to try and figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I know I want to see God reveal Himself to people like He has to me, but I've been forgetting one thing. And that is, He is the only one who can reveal Himself. Regardless of my powers of persuasion, or my own testimony, or any amount of theatrics, the only way someone can experience the love of Christ like I have is if He reveals Himself. I've been trying too hard to do the work that only He can.

So I asked myself, what can I do then? I looked at Habakkuk to see what He did. What I noticed is that he prayed to and he worshiped the One who could. That is my job when it comes to God's heart being known. Now that's not to say He won't use me. But it works best when He is always put first. And when I see Him working in me, to remember that He alone is doing the work. My talents and my thoughts need to be directed to Him, and then He will do the work through me.

It is easy to get lost in our own world and forget how big our God is. I hope you are reminded that He is in control and you are only a small piece of an eternal plan.

No comments: